- "Your one stop army headquarters"
- ―Store Motto
- "I know a gun store we can stop by and get some real guns."
- "Candy store for adults!"
Whitaker's Gun Shop is a minor objective and setting for the second chapter of the Dead Center campaign in Left 4 Dead 2. The address is located just north of Highway 10 near the Save 4 Less mini grocery store just off Interstate #16 in Savannah.
The gun shop is owned and operated by a man called Whitaker and is open 364 days of the year. His current business hours are:
- Monday to Friday: 9:00am - 6:30pm
- Saturday: 9:00am - 5:30pm
- Sunday: 12:30pm - 5:30pm
He has an inventory of weapons for people to choose from. Many of the weapons are fully-automatic meaning that either Whitaker has a Federal Firearms License and is a Special Occupational Taxpayer, having both of which enables a dealer to own and deal machine guns legally to non-civilians or that he illegally converted the weapons to be capable of fully-automatic fire at some point, presumably after the epidemic spread out of control.
Whitaker's Gun Shop also offers other services such as hand gun cleaning, personal defense training, hunting and fishing licenses, target practicing and the buying and trading of other firearms.
Whitaker's Gun Shop Inventory
- Laser Scopes (sold for $699.99)
- 9mm Hand Pistol [Glock 26] (sold for two for one special at $999.99)
- Submachine Gun [Uzi] (sold for $399.99)
- Silenced Submachine Gun [MAC-10] [Machine pistol] (sold for $399.99)
- Pump Shotgun [Remington 870 Police Magnum Riot] (sold for $399.99)
- Chrome Shotgun [Remington 870 Marine Magnum] (sold for $399.99)
- AK-47 Rifle [AKM] (sold for $1999.99)
- M-16 Assault Rifle [M16A2] (sold for $1999.99)
- Combat Rifle [FN SCAR-L] (sold for $1999.99)
- Tactical Shotgun [Benelli M4 Super 90] (sold for $1999.99)
- Combat Shotgun [Franchi SPAS-12] (sold for $1999.99)
- Hunting Rifle [Ruger Mini-14] (sold for $399.99)
- Sniper Rifle [Heckler & Koch G3SG/1] (sold for $1999.99)
- Desert Cobra [Desert Eagle Mark XIX] (sold for $1999.99)
The store also carries lots of ammo. However, there does not appear to be a price displayed.
Hearing that the Infection was spreading out of control and the CEDA evacuation centers were slowly being overrun or closed and perhaps consistent with the Survivalist principle which says "Stay away from crowds", 60 year-old Whitaker decided that his best option was to make his own plans. With the Vannah evacuation center closed down and hearing that the Liberty Mall evacuation center was being overrun, he quickly built and barricaded himself into a little safe room bunker on the roof above his gun store. He gathered supplies such as weapons, ammo and food, but forgot to get beverages to keep himself hydrated through the hot Georgia weather.
The Survivors visited his store on the way to Liberty Mall at Ellis' urging. They entered and helped themselves to weapons and supplies and also contacted Whitaker by intercom, striking a deal with him: The Survivors can take the weapons downstairs and he will destroy the tanker blocking their way to the Mall provided that the Survivors deliver him a six-pack of Cola from the nearby Save 4 Less supermarket.
The Survivors entered the Save 4 Less and got the Cola, but as the supermarket door is alarmed, opening the door set off a Gauntlet Crescendo Event obliging the Survivors to grab the Cola and battle their way to to Whitaker's rooftop bunker while fighting the endless Hordes of the Infected off.
Once the Survivors delivered the Cola to him, Whitaker blew the tanker up and they proceeded onward to the mall. The shop and Whittaker himself is never seen, referenced or heard from again.
Whitaker's survival plan foreshadows the "You can make a life for yourself right here" option laid out for Nick by Coach at the start of the game's final chapter in The Bridge safe room (Refer to The Parish campaign). It is unknown how long that Whitaker stayed in his safe room or if he remained alive, though it's most likely that he was still alive by then as the Infected doesn't seem to be able to bust his defenses.
- Whitaker looks very similar to the Fallen Survivor Uncommon Infected from The Passing. However, his custom skin texture features him not as an Infected.
- The only guns that Whitaker doesn't sell are P220's (Not counting Grenade Launchers or M60's).
- The ad for the gun shop seen near the highway gives the wrong address stating that the store is just off Highway 10 when in fact it is supposed to be Interstate #16 (This may be because the Survivors used Interstate #10 later in Left 4 Dead 2 to get to New Orleans).
- The entire setting of Whitaker's Gun Shop being near Liberty Mall is very similar to the 2004 movie, Dawn of the Dead where the Survivors took refuge in The Crossroads Mall which is right beside Andy's Gun Store.
- Whitaker's safe room can be seen from the ground level as a rooftop plywood box fringed with razor wire and flying the U.S. flag.
- Whitaker's Gun Shop is in the same strip mall as the Save 4 Less mini grocery store.
- Whitaker's zombie-proof door has a deposit slot which allows the Survivors to deliver him the Cola. However, his door is not the traditional red steel safe room doors as seen throughout the Left 4 Dead series. This is due to the fact that the players may get confused and think that Whitaker's barricaded room is a safe room when they are supposed to proceed to the mall.
- There is a gun store called Whittaker Guns in Owensboro, Kentucky.
- It is implied that Whitaker is 60 years old because when the Survivors are at his store, he sometimes says, "I've been on this Earth 60 years ma'am and I've weaseled nothing from nobody. You got my word as a gentleman".
- None of the weapons in the store are called by their real-life names on the signs due to copyright.
|Locations in Left 4 Dead 2