|Tagline||"It's Your Funeral"|
"Find a sail boat and sail away to safety."
The Sacrifice takes place after Blood Harvest, and is considered to be the prologue to The Passing, as both campaigns are connected to each other. The DLC is free for PC players, while for Xbox 360 players, it comes in two separate packages on Xbox Live (one for Left 4 Dead and one for Left 4 Dead 2), and costs 560 Microsoft Points for each one.
The campaign's name comes with the obvious interpretation that one of the Survivors has to sacrifice themselves in order to enable the survival of the team. Canonically, Bill is the one who makes this choice, as seen by his unfortunate appearance in The Passing's finale inside a generator room, as well as the comic.
The tagline, "It's your funeral," refers to the idiom "it's your funeral", basically meaning someone may have made a bad choice, and if they follow up on it, they will have to endure the direct consequences regarding that choice. During the campaign, the team will pass by numerous boats and Francis constantly suggests for the team to take any of them, but Bill refuses to listen to him and insists into finding a sail boat. Later, at the beginning of The Barge, Francis notes that they could have used one of those boats to move around and find a sail boat safely. Bill admits that Francis is right, but obsessed to find a sail boat right away, he still refuses to head back even when they find the raised bridge. Had the team headed back, the titular sacrifice could have been avoided.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Released in The Sacrifice[edit | edit source]
Both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2[edit | edit source]
- The Sacrifice campaign.
- New dialogue for all the original Survivors, including community ones for Bill.
- A new item "Explosive Barrel", which acts like a propane tank and a gas can. It can be triggered by flames and gunfire, as well as being moved by melee shoving, but it is not portable.
Only for Left 4 Dead[edit | edit source]
- The Heavy Machine Gun that was previously only available in Left 4 Dead 2 is added. While it only appears in Port Finale at an equivalent location to its placement in The Port of Left 4 Dead 2 in official content, it can also now be used freely for the design of community campaigns in Left 4 Dead.
Only for Left 4 Dead 2[edit | edit source]
- A port of No Mercy which includes usage of the original Left 4 Dead Survivors.
- Five New Mutations: Taaannnkk!!, Hunting Party, Lone Gunman, Bleed Out Versus and Healing Gnome (only for users who have bought or own The Passing DLC).
- New dialogue about the Left 4 Dead 2 Special Infected for Bill.
- The CEDA Worker Infected and the Worker Infected also appear in this campaign and in No Mercy.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Unlike other campaigns, The Sacrifice's Achievements can be obtained separately on both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Two of the Achievements, SUPREME SACRIFICE and KILL BILL, are only obtained by the player who sacrifices themselves in Left 4 Dead, while in Left 4 Dead 2, it counts for the whole team.
Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2[edit | edit source]
|Complete "The Sacrifice".|
|Have Bill sacrifice himself for the team.|
|Have all three generators running at once in The Sacrifice finale.|
|Kill a Special Infected with an exploding barrel.|
|As a Special Infected, incap someone who is trying to sacrifice themselves.|
Left 4 Dead only[edit | edit source]
|All Survivors complete a campaign without being vomited on.|
|Play an entire campaign with no Survivors taking friendly fire damage.|
|DO NOT DISTURB||(20G)|
|Sneak past all Witches in a campaign without disturbing one.|
|Finish a campaign without being healed by a first aid kit.|
|Survive a campaign with no Survivors taking damage from Special Infected.|
|Survive an entire campaign using only pistols.|
Left 4 Dead 2 only[edit | edit source]
|CONFEDERACY OF CRUNCHES||(30G)|
|Finish a campaign using only melee weapons.|
|Collect 10 vials of Boomer vomit from infected CEDA agents you have killed.|
|Kill one of each Uncommon Infected.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Chet Faliszek commented in a thread on the Steam user forums with a new line for Bill in The Sacrifice. This was in response to players who were concerned about the availability of Bill's voice actor, Jim French, as he was unavailable for lines in Crash Course and The Passing.
- The Hunting Rifle in Left 4 Dead (commonly referred to as the Sniper Rifle prior to Left 4 Dead 2, which the interview may have made a mistake on) has been re-balanced to match its counterpart in Left 4 Dead 2.
- SUPREME SACRIFICE does not feature a rescue vehicle unlike the other campaign achievements (not counting Last Stand). This is because the campaign is completed without a rescue vehicle.
- The finale introduces a new way of completing a campaign. First, the Survivors must start up three generators; second, they must get on the bridge and raise it; and finally one team member must sacrifice themselves restarting a generator in the face of impossible odds.
- The finale of this campaign takes place in the same area as The Port from The Passing. As a result, the Survival mode level is incredibly similar.
- Although, after The Last Stand Community Update the survival level of The Passing now features more areas present in his Co-op/Versus variant, areas that are not present in The Sacrifice's version.
- This campaign has an unusual scripted amount of Tanks. The first is a Tank in a train car on The Docks, the next three come from the three generators in Port Finale which the Survivors will face in succession while waiting for the bridge to open up, and the final four scripted Tanks appear after the Survivors have got onto the bridge and raised it halfway.
- This is the only DLC to be released for both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.
- As is the case on the Dead Air poster, The Sacrifice poster also illustrates Bill without his signature cigarette.
- Notably, the sunlight from behind Bill forms a halo around his head. Whether this is coincidence or intentional (as it seems to symbolize his canon death) is not known. Seeing as the Achievement "Kill Bill" also does this, it would seem intentional.
- So far, this is the only campaign poster to feature Francis with his gloves on.
- It is also the only campaign poster to have Zoey carrying a weapon other than her pistols.
- Unlike in game, Zoey's hair seems to not be in a ponytail in the poster, and is instead loose and wavy.
- In the campaign poster, Francis is seen holding a combat shotgun and Bill seem to be holding an AK-47, both weapons from Left 4 Dead 2.
- Francis is also holding the combat shotgun left-handed instead of right-handed, which may suggest that Francis is ambidextrous like Louis.
- In the intro trailer, a safe room door can be seen off its hinges, suggesting that there was nowhere to run to.
- In all three Chapters, the Survivors make oblique references to events that took place in the comic (Zoey berating Bill for leaving the doctor to die, for example), but they never specifically say what happened or who was involved.
- The Sacrifice is the second DLC to release additional community lines recorded by Valve for Custom Campaigns. This time, only Bill's voice actor recorded community lines (in addition to all his other new lines for The Sacrifice, along with Left 4 Dead 2 Special Infected cries) to fit in with the other Left 4 Dead community lines referencing the cold.
- Bill's voice actor also recorded twenty movie lines which appear to be unused, and either left in by accident or for the community to use. All of them appear to be themed on his dying words after he is mortally wounded by the multiple Tanks and waiting for them to approach him.
- There is a mistake with the license plates on the cars for the Left 4 Dead version of the campaign. The setting is in Georgia, but the plates read Pennsylvania. This oversight is caused by reusing the Left 4 Dead vehicle props, which use Pennsylvania license plates; in Left 4 Dead 2 these plates instead read "America" but are styled similarly to Louisiana plates.
- Same wise, in the Left 4 Dead 2 ports of the original campaigns set in Pennsylvania all the vehicles use the "America" license plate instead of the Pennsylvania's one.
- Although it could be intentional as it could be cars from Pennsylvania fleeing towards Georgia.
- Prior to The Last Stand Community Update released for the PC version on September 24, 2020, no Golf Club could be found in this campaign despite it taking place in the same setting as The Passing.
- The weapon is still unobtainable in this campaign in the Xbox 360 version.
- This is the only campaign in Left 4 Dead to take place in the evening (as opposed to night, midnight, or early morning as the past campaigns have been). This modifies gameplay (e.g.) the Infected can be first seen at longer ranges than previously, although the Witches are stationary rather than wandering around.
- The game designers make clever use of a "river fog" effect that changes in density to signal the passage of time.
- In the Left 4 Dead 2 PC version of The Sacrifice (along with the Left 4 Dead 2 versions of the original campaigns), the Survivor Bots' preferences for Tier 2 weaponry were previously as follows: Zoey preferred Assault Rifle variants, Francis preferred Hunting Rifle variants, Louis preferred Auto Shotgun variants, while Bill remained unchanged, still preferring Assault Rifle variants. This was most likely because the Left 4 Dead Survivors took the gun preference of their corresponding Left 4 Dead 2 Survivor (Bill to Nick; Louis to Coach; Francis to Ellis; Zoey to Rochelle).
- Following the September 24, 2020 update, their original weapon preferences were restored, although their pre-update preferences remain in the Xbox 360 version.
- In the first few seconds of the trailer, Louis doesn't have his tie on and he appears to be holding an MP5 when they are retreating to the boat.
- This is the first campaign to feature the jukebox with all the Midnight Riders songs in both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.
- This is so far the only map to have a known playable character to canonically die (Bill).
- This map has the largest horde to ever be seen in the entire game along with multiple Tanks at the same time at the finale.
- Due to a bug, if all of the bots/players are incapacitated on the bridge and the player sacrifices themselves, they instantly LOSE instead of win the game for some reason. The game will not display the words "You are dead." nor "The Survivors are overwhelmed."
- If you attempt to get "Kill Bill" achievement, you will still get it.
- While this chapter was ported in Left 4 Dead: Survivors, it is possible that one of the protagonists can sacrifice themselves canonically (possibly Yusuke as he was a replacement of Bill) as this game took place in a separate timeline rather than being a continuation of the actual game's plot, in which features Bill's death in The Passing.
- Instead of the game saying "In Memory of: (Player name)", the game will say "The Survivors have escaped!" despite one of the Survivor having sacrificed him/herself.
External Links[edit | edit source]
- GameTrailers TV Interview
- The Sacrifice Official Comic Page
- Left 4 Dead The Sacrifice Teaser
- The Sacrifice Official Site