Featured campaigns are Custom Campaigns for Left 4 Dead 2 that were elected by Valve for their outstanding quality. Featured campaigns are uploaded to all official dedicated servers for an unspecified amount of time. They are announced in blog posts with a short description and a link to the download.
Featured Campaigns are presumed to remain on official servers indefinitely (except Dead Before Dawn; see below). Valve will attempt to keep the most up-to-date version of a featured campaign uploaded to the servers.
As of May 4, 2011, campaigns can be downloaded reliably from an official host, and a list of previously featured campaigns is maintained on the blog.
Featured Campaigns[edit | edit source]
2 Evil Eyes[edit | edit source]
Tagline: Here's Looking at You.
- "We currently have 120 servers setup around the world with the first featured campaign – 2 Evil Eyes."
Featured on August 12, 2010.
A campaign set in a swamp.
Detour Ahead[edit | edit source]
Tagline: You're headed in the wrong direction.
- "The new featured community campaign for PC players is Detour Ahead. This 5 map campaign offers Co-op and Versus gameplay. While the explosion in the finale will light the night sky, it's the train bridge you will remember."
Featured on August 26, 2010.
Originally developed for Left 4 Dead, this campaign takes place in the wilderness and provides frantic versus action.
City 17[edit | edit source]
Tagline: Déjà vu Causes Death.
- "The new featured campaign is City 17. If it seems familiar, it should, it is based on Half-Life 2: Episode 1. While it is may be lacking Gordon, Alyx, and Barney it’s not lacking zombies. And no, they aren't your head-crab induced zombies, these are full on Left 4 Dead 2 zombies. This 5 map campaign offers great Coop and Versus gameplay."
Featured on September 15, 2010.
This campaign is a recreation of City 17 based on Half-Life 2: Episode One originally made for Left 4 Dead, which was ported over to Left 4 Dead 2.
Haunted Forest[edit | edit source]
- "It’s a forest, and it’s haunted! This Halloween, you can either go out and get apples with razor blades, or stay home and Play the Haunted Forest – the choice is yours."
Dead Before Dawn Too[edit | edit source]
Tagline: Closing Sale! Every Thing must go.
- "Congratulations to the team that has put this together as they have been nominated to the Moddb top 100 mods of 2010. "
Featured on December 10, 2010.
Dead Before Dawn is a custom story, visuals and home made music based upon the 2004 remake of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead. Originally created for Left 4 Dead, it was ported over to Left 4 Dead 2.
On May 4, 2011, this campaign was dropped from official servers due to issues related to copyright infringement.
One 4 Nine[edit | edit source]
Tagline: The Dusk of Man, The Dawn of Zombies? Like Hell it is.
- "The new featured campaign is Kev Edwards’ awesome One 4 Nine. What’s not to love? You have an Army base in the Nevada desert housing an ancient “alien tomb”. We have been digging Versus in this campaign but coop and survival modes are also available."
Featured on January 7, 2011.
In the Nevada Desert, the U.S. Army have built a Military base around an ancient "alien tomb" and after years of trying have managed to open it. Four survivors heard rumors of a fortified safe zone in the base, but have no knowledge of the tomb nor what will await them upon arrival...
Suicide Blitz 2[edit | edit source]
Tagline: Winning isn't everything. Surviving is.
- "After a long break, we have a new featured community campaign - Suicide Blitz 2. "
Featured on June 17, 2011.
Survivors must make their way through an infected city to escape the zombie apocalypse. The finale takes place in a football stadium.
I Hate Mountains 2[edit | edit source]
Tagline: No camping. No marshmallows. No hope.
- "We are also back with custom campaigns. Today we are adding I Hate Mountains to the rotation and have an updated version of Suicide Blitz 2. "
Featured on December 16, 2011.
A campaign set in Canada.
Blood Tracks[edit | edit source]
Tagline: Death follows the path of hope
- "For PC players we also updated the featured community campaign to Blood Tracks. Grab it from here and you can choose to play it on Official Dedicated since we have updated our servers with it."
Featured on July 10, 2012.
A 4-map campaign featuring custom weapons and music.
Deathcraft II[edit | edit source]
Tagline: Saving Chunks, one zombie at a time
- "This campaign is a total conversion of the world of Left 4 Dead into Minecraft. The original L4D cast is thrown into the retro world of Minecraft."
Featured on July 24, 2012.
A campaign made entirely in the style of Minecraft.
Warcelona[edit | edit source]
Tagline: There is no time for siesta.
- "Today we are adding a new community created campaign onto our official servers – Warcelona. How do you play this great campaign? Well.. it’s kind of a pain."
Featured on November 9, 2012.
A campaign that takes place in Barcelona.
Helm's Deep Reborn[edit | edit source]
- "To celebrate, we are adding Helm’s Deep Reborn to our own official servers. Gone is the long explanation of how to download and install the campaign. Now – just visit its workshop page and click subscribe."
Featured on February 20, 2013.
References[edit | edit source]
- Twitter / @L4D Developer: PC players! Check l4d.com. ...
- Here's looking at you
- You're headed in the wrong direction.
- Déja vu Causes Death
- L4D1 and L4D2 on the Mac
- December 10th - Around the World of Left 4 Dead
- Featured Campaign: One 4 Nine
- Featured Campaigns Return!
- Holiday Update
- July 10th Update - Confogl, Cold Stream Release, Blood Tracks
- Cold Stream is out!
- We are Helms Deep In It