- "Man, I feel like I'm Gordon Freeman!"
- "Crowbars give you that personal touch you don't get with gun killin'."
It is found in the following campaigns:
- Dead Center
- The Passing
- Dark Carnival
- Hard Rain
- No Mercy (Left 4 Dead 2 only)
- Crash Course (Left 4 Dead 2 only)
- Death Toll (Left 4 Dead 2 only)
- Dead Air (Left 4 Dead 2 only)
- Blood Harvest (Left 4 Dead 2 only)
- The Sacrifice (Left 4 Dead 2 only)
- The Last Stand (Left 4 Dead 2 version)
Melee weapons replace Pistols in the secondary weapon slot. Unlike Pistols, close combat weapons never need to be reloaded and cannot run out of ammo (excluding the Chainsaw). They have two main drawbacks: a limited reach and (with a few exceptions) relatively long cooldown periods. Close combat weapons cause minimal friendly fire damage to the Survivors, even on Advanced and Expert difficulty levels (the Chainsaw is an exception).
These weapons are extremely effective. All melee weapons, on all difficulties, kill Common Infected and most Special Infected in one hit, aside from the Charger (which takes two—but see point below), the Witch (which takes four), and the Tank (which takes twenty, excluding the Chainsaw). Due to their death effects, it is generally advised to melee neither the Boomer (unless there is no choice) nor the Spitter (unless it is possible to move away immediately from the resulting acid splash).
The melee weapons appear to do more damage if an Infected's head or upper body is targeted. With the correct timing it is possible to kill a Charger with one hit while it is charging, allowing a Survivor to "level" a charge without first dealing damage to the Charger and to gain the achievement "Level a Charge".
The Crowbar is classified as a shredding weapon: it will sever limbs and spew blood on the screen, but can also take off part of an Infected's skull.
Pros and Cons
- High spawn rate.
- Can be used to cut a Smoker's tongue.
- Melee shoves are faster than any other melee.
- One of the slowest melee weapons.
- Short reach and inconsistent hit registration compared to other melee weapons (eg. Fireaxe).
- Attacks may obstruct the user's vision.
- Not recommended for killing Boomers due to bile showering attacker and any nearby Survivors.
- Main article: Achievements
|CONFEDERACY OF CRUNCHES||(30G)|
|Finish a campaign using only melee weapons.|
|Kill a Tank with melee weapons.|
|BEAT THE RUSH||(15G)|
|In a Survival round, get a medal only using melee weapons.|
|Use every melee weapon to kill Common Infected.|
|LEVEL A CHARGE||(15G)|
|Kill a Charger with a melee weapon while they are charging.|
|With a sharp melee weapon, cut a Smoker's tongue before he ensnares you.|
|Find the golden crowbars hidden in the Left 4 Dead 1 survival maps.|
- A crowbar is a hardened steel hand tool normally used as a prying lever to force apart two objects held together by fasteners or to remove fasteners from wood or similar materials. Crowbars are a stereotypical burglary tool and often appear in popular culture as improvised weapons.
- The Crowbar used in Left 4 Dead 2 is a direct reference to Valve's Half-Life series in which the game's protagonist, Gordon Freeman, wields a crowbar with an identical red color scheme as a weapon.
- Louis may sometimes reference the video game series using the above-mentioned quote when he picks up a Crowbar.
- In-game, the Crowbar shares the same range as all the other melee weapons, but it has fewer hit-detection rays (than the Axe).
- The swinging rate of the Crowbar is slightly slower relative to the other melee weapons in Left 4 Dead 2. In addition, it seems that player holding Crowbar can use a melee push faster (almost instantly after a swing) than any other type of melee weapon.
- The Crowbar is unique as it is the only melee weapon that can peel off a Common Infected's face and split off half of a skull while leaving the rest of the head intact.
- All crowbars found in the game show signs of prior use. They are abraded and several sections of paint have been chipped off.
- Before the game's release, some players linked Nick's quote (above) to Valve's Half-Life game design trope to deduce that there would be supplies in crates in Left 4 Dead 2.
- Contrary to popular belief, the Crowbar actually does get stained with blood. The red color scheme obscures the blood staining. Blood will be more visible when the color of the Crowbar's skin is changed to a more contrasting color than the default red.
- A golden variation of the Crowbar was introduced in the Last Stand Update; this weapon is hidden in various Survival maps of ported Left 4 Dead campaigns as well as the secret room in The Last Stand campaign.
- The Crowbar used to experience a glitch that disabled gore on Common Infected as well as its ability to cut Smoker tongues. This was patched in an update released on October 22, 2020.
|Tier 1||Chrome Shotgun / Pump Shotgun / MP5 / Silenced Submachine Gun / Submachine Gun|
|Tier 2||AK-47 / Combat Rifle / M-16 Assault Rifle / SG 552 / Auto Shotgun / Combat Shotgun / AWP / Hunting Rifle / Scout / Sniper Rifle|
|Special Tier||Grenade Launcher / M60 Machine Gun|
|Sidearms||M1911 Pistol / Magnum Pistol / P220 Pistol|
|Melee Weapons||Baseball Bat / Cricket Bat / Crowbar / Fireaxe / Frying Pan / Golf Club / Guitar / Katana / Knife / Machete / Nightstick / Pitchfork / Shovel|
|Grenades||Bile Bomb / Molotov Cocktail / Pipe Bomb|
|Upgrades||Explosive Ammunition / Incendiary Ammunition / Laser Sight|
|Fixed Weapons||Heavy Machine Gun / Minigun|
|Usable Items||Explosive barrel / Fireworks / Gas can / Oxygen tank / Propane tank|
|Special Items||Cola / Gnome Chompski|
|Featured in both games / L4D1-exclusive / L4D2-exclusive (Counter-Strike weapons / PC-exclusive)|