- Main article: Counter-Strike Weapons
The AWP is a bolt-action sniper rifle but, unlike the other Counter-Strike: Source weapons, there is no other weapon that matches it precisely. This rifle inflicts a high amount of damage per shot — second only to that dealt out by Shotguns measured on a per-shot basis.
It has the slowest rate of fire (excluding the Grenade Launcher) of any firearm in the game and its accuracy whilst moving is very low so it is only effective against a Horde in narrow environments when standing still. This rifle comes into its own when engaging enemies such as weaker Special Infected from afar. However using it against a Witch or Tank is not recommended due to its low rate of fire. Compared to the Steyr Scout, the AWP inflicts slightly more damage per second on account of its powerful .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- Take advantage of its accuracy and higher damage per shot to take down Special Infected from far away.
- Better accompanied with a melee weapon because of its extremely low rate of fire.
- Always keep the distance from the Common Infected, as you can easily get surrounded by them with no defense if you do not have a melee weapon.
- Players using this gun should be the last of the group to kill the few Common or Special Infected left behind and to give extra penetration when facing Hordes.
- Always stand still or crouch while using the AWP, especially when using ammo upgrades.
- Unlike the shotguns players can skip the bolt animation by shooting and shoving at the same time to increase DPS.
Pros and Cons[edit | edit source]
Pros[edit | edit source]
- Highest damage per shot of the all firearms except shotguns and the Grenade Launcher.
- Second highest sniper magazine capacity.
- The highest total damage of all weapons, except the Tier 2 shotguns and the AK-47.
- Firing and shoving at the same time can increase your DPS.
Cons[edit | edit source]
- Low fire rate, behind all weapons except the Grenade Launcher.
- Too slow to use as self-defense when surrounded by Infected.
- Extremely bad for Crescendo Events.
- Out of all the weapons in the game, it takes the second longest time to kill a Tank, behind even the pistols. On Normal, it would take the AWP 41 seconds to kill the Tank with it, while the pistols dual-wielded would take 20.
- Lower Damage Per Second than any weapon in the game, except the Steyr Scout. All other weapons in the game have a higher DPS (including sidearms). The pistols deal 65 more damage every second than the AWP when both are fired as fast as possible.
- Firing and shoving at the same time wastes your shoving leaving you into cooldown or disadvantage
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Even though it can be fitted with a laser sight, this will not show up in First Person mode. However the laser sight will show up when in Third Person mode.
- This was fixed in the PC exclusive September 2020 update.
- Prior to the PC exclusive September 2020 update, the AWP was the only CSS Weapon which running animation does not glitch after reloading AWP and it properly shows even after doing so.
- The gun is a "left-handed" gun as the bolt is on the left side.
- This is the only Sniper Rifle that can kill Common Infected in two hits on any part of their body in realism.
- AWSM is sometimes referred to as AWP by community, due to its similarity with the AWP (Arctic Warfare Police), a variant of the AWP featured in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
- In the Steam stats page of Left 4 Dead 2, the AWSM is also referred as the AWP.
- AWSM stands for Arctic Warfare Super Magnum, and is an unofficial name for the .338 Lapua Magnum version of the Accuracy International AWM.
|Tier 1||Chrome Shotgun / Pump Shotgun / MP5 / Silenced Submachine Gun / Submachine Gun|
|Tier 2||AK-47 / Combat Rifle / M-16 Assault Rifle / SG 552 / Auto Shotgun / Combat Shotgun / AWP / Hunting Rifle / Scout / Sniper Rifle|
|Special Tier||Grenade Launcher / M60 Machine Gun|
|Sidearms||M1911 Pistol / Magnum Pistol / P220 Pistol|
|Melee Weapons||Baseball Bat / Cricket Bat / Crowbar / Fireaxe / Frying Pan / Golf Club / Guitar / Katana / Knife / Machete / Nightstick / Pitchfork / Shovel|
|Grenades||Bile Bomb / Molotov Cocktail / Pipe Bomb|
|Upgrades||Explosive Ammunition / Incendiary Ammunition / Laser Sight|
|Fixed Weapons||Heavy Machine Gun / Minigun|
|Usable Items||Explosive barrel / Fireworks / Gas can / Oxygen tank / Propane tank|
|Special Items||Cola / Gnome Chompski|
|Featured in both games / L4D1-exclusive / L4D2-exclusive (Counter-Strike weapons / PC-exclusive)|