The AK-47 is an automatic rifle in L4D2, losing fire rate, magazine size, and accuracy in comparison to other rifles for stopping power capable of effectively taking down hordes and Tanks.
Official Description[edit | edit source]
What this Soviet-made assault rifle lacks in accuracy, it makes up for in firepower. You can squeeze off these higher caliber rounds in single shots for ammo conservation, or room-clear with fully automatic fire.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
- The AK-47 can kill Common Infected with one shot on Easy and Normal, while it takes two shots on Advanced and Realism. Uncommon Infected take more shots to kill, but the AK-47 is still the most powerful assault rifle in the game.
- The slower firing rate on the AK-47 saves ammunition when picking off lone Common Infected.
- The AK-47's ability to inflict a high level of damage makes it an excellent Tank-killing weapon. It cannot quite match the Tactical or Combat Shotgun in damage per second at close range, but the weapon at mid-range is surpassed in effectiveness only by the M60.
- While the AK-47 has poor accuracy when moving and a heavy recoil that causes loss of target acquisition, distant Infected can still be dispatched by taking careful aim and firing single shots or double-taps.
- Crouching while firing greatly increases the AK-47's medium and long-range accuracy.
- Shooting a sitting Witch in the head with the AK-47 will stun her momentarily in the same way that a head shot from the Sniper Rifle or Magnum Pistol does. If you are close enough, the AK's damage output will be sufficient to put her down. However, if you are too far, most of your shots will miss and you will be unable to kill her before she closes in and/or your magazine is empty.
- The Laser Sight upgrade works best with the AK-47, since it improves this weapon's accuracy tremendously, especially at medium and long ranges.
- Note that with a Laser Sight fitted, crouching does not improve accuracy over a standing position unless a player is shooting while moving.
- There will always be a laser sight box in Whitaker's Gun Shop, found in the Streets chapter of Dead Center.
- Explosive and Incendiary Ammo upgrades do not complement the AK-47 as well as they do for the Assault Rifle.
- The AK-47's already high damage mostly nullifies the one shot, one kill capabilities of both types of special ammunition.
- The decreased magazine size of the AK-47 as compared to other automatic rifles further dilutes the effectiveness of the ammunition upgrades.
- However, the decreased fire rate of the AK-47 provides better control for those who wish to attempt to use single bullets against each Infected, which can improve the total number of kills achieved with the augmented ammo.
- This benefit is slightly negated, however, by the AK-47's reduced accuracy, which can easily cause the bullets to miss their target, forcing the player to use more than one shot to kill an Infected, despite the improved control.
- The Magnum pistol is a good secondary weapon to use with the AK-47 because the heavy pistol is an effective long-range weapon that compensates for the AK-47's poor accuracy. However, if you can master firing it in semi-auto, the Magnum will be rendered redundant, though a useful backup.
- An exception to this is Realism, where the Magnum's superiority is unquestionable.
- Ordinary Pistols are not as effective in a pistol-sniping role, but they are still more accurate than the AK-47 and so are good secondary weapons to consider when choosing the AK-47 as a primary weapon.
- Melee weapons work well with the AK-47 in chapters featuring short ranges and confined spaces. This tactic is best applied with the Katana due to its long range and wide swing arc as well as its notably fast swing speed.
- The AK-47's ability to fire single and double taps (by gently pressing the primary fire button) is one of its most useful features. When crouching to improve accuracy, its fine trigger control and heavy bullet makes the AK-47 a decent ranged weapon (even without a Laser Sight) meaning distant Smokers and Hunters can be taken down with the expenditure of only 3 or 4 cartridges. Crouching, using the double-tapping technique and aiming at the central body mass is enough to kill a Common Infected on Expert mode.
Pros and Cons[edit | edit source]
Pros[edit | edit source]
- High close range DPS and damage per hit.
- Generally a common spawn.
- Slow rate of fire, allowing better ammo conservation.
- Benefits significantly from the Laser Sight upgrade, making it an an undeniable force with both solid accuracy and great damage (as well as per second).
- Keeps flashlight forwards while reloading.
- Short reload.
Cons[edit | edit source]
- Drains ammo at a relatively high pace.
- Small magazine reduces effectiveness of ammo upgrades.
- Low accuracy and high recoil.
- Rare chance to appear at all.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The AK-47 is modeled after the AKM. However, the front sight is modeled from the AK-47.
- The in-game rifle's fire rate is much lower than its real-life counterparts (600 RPM, slightly lower than M-16)
- The in-game model shows the proportions of a 30-round magazine, despite the fact that statistically and realistically, it can use 40-round magazines.
- The AK-47's third-person reloading animation is the same as the M-16 Assault Rifle and the Combat Rifle, although the magazine, for obscure reasons, is never removed.
- The AK-47 was rated 1st in the Left 4 Dead 2 Top 10 FTW Weapons on Machinima.com.
- When held by a Survivor in third-person, the AK-47 ejects casings out the left side as opposed to the right in first-person.
- The in-game model is using a Tapco polymer magazine, not a regular steel mag.
- The bulb on the mounted flashlight actually uses the texture of the bottom of a bullet cartridge.
- The AK-47 in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive uses a slightly-modified version of the Left 4 Dead 2 model. This is also true for the Glock, Desert Eagle, and MAC-10. The "Rural" variant that can be found in the Lighthouse Finale is based off the Global Offensive AK-47's textures.
- When Bill takes the weapon he reuses the audio of taking the M16.
- The higher damage output of the AK-47 when compared to the Assault Rifle in-game matches the performance of the weapons in real life. When fired, the 7.62×39mm cartridge, used by both the AK-47 and the AKM, produces approximately 200—250 more ft-lbs of force than the 5.56×45mm cartridge, used by the M16 assault rifle.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
|Left 4 Dead|
|Tier 1||Pump Shotgun / Submachine Gun|
|Tier 2||Assault Rifle / Auto Shotgun / Hunting Rifle|